Currently through the procedure.

>>> dmosley@dancik.com 04/12/02 08:15AM >>>

Are you passing the 'object structure' back and forth though the procedure,
or are you using the EXPORT/IMPORT capabilities?

David L. Mosley, Jr.
Systems Analyst
2000 CentreGreen Way
Suite 250
Cary, NC 27513

                    "Andrew Lutz"
                    <alutz@pmigroup.c        To:     <rpg400-l@midrange.com>
                    om>                      cc:
                    Sent by:                 Subject:     RE: Separation of
Presentation, BL, and I/O Tiers
                    rpg400-l-admin@mi
                    drange.com

                    04/12/02 10:55 AM
                    Please respond to
                    rpg400-l

Aaron,

I have implemented this setter/getter for every field methodology in a
previous project.

Yes, we generated the programs automatically.

But eventually you must maintain them outside the generator.  Lot of work.
Not to mention a lot of procedures, that made Large programs.

This time we are implementing a

getState()

setState()

style approach where the entire object structure is passed.  Much simpler.
Easier to maintain.  Smaller programs.

>>> ALBartell@taylorcorp.com 04/12/02 06:32AM >>>
We are trying something new in our software where we are doing something
similar to what is being talked about here.  We are creating IO modules for
all of our files.

Here's what I am wondering.  Since every service program will be the same
except for the names of the subprocedures we are thinking about writing a
program to produce the getter and setter methods for each field, similar to
how some Java IDE's do it for you based on the variables you define in the
object.  We wouldn't be writing a program to do this if there wasn't a
gazillion files that we had in our software, but each one needs to have a
service program created for it.

Has anybody done this before, and if you have would you be willing to share
the code that it took to dynamically write the programs?

Thanks in advance,
Aaron Bartell