Rick,

Just a last note on this.
At that time I was involved to adjust a programe in JDE (system ran on
V3R2), creating a purchase order based on a sales order. We called the
programme with relevant data in a datastructure. JDE first builds an empty
subfile (as it was a new order) then we chain to the first SFL record, fill
in the screen data, update the SFL with SFLNXTCHG indicator turned on, and
display it to the user. you may think this would work.
  After Enter the ordermaster was created, but the orderdetail from the SFL
was not, as the system did not read the SFL as changed.
Finally we put the data in the SFL at the first write using
SFLNXTCHG-indicator on: that worked.
The manuals then told me, that SFLNXTCHG did not work on a chain to a SFL
record.

So, either solution SFLNXTCHG or DSPATR(MDT) may work.

Regards,
Carel Teijgeler.