READC is used to read only the records that the user changed (keyed
data into) in your subfile.  The SFLNXTCHG keyword can be used to
programmatically mark a record as "changed", if you don't want the
user to have to manually change it.

That's all well and good, but has nothing to do with the F4 example
that you gave!

You're trying to find out "which record was the cursor on when the user
pressed F4", and not "which records have been changed?"

Here's how you determine where the cursor left off:

In your DDS, specify the SFLCSRRRN keyword.  For example:

At record level:
     A                                      SFLCSRRRN(&CURSORPOS)

At field level:
     A            CURSORPOS      5S 0H

Then, in your RPG, when F4 has been hit do something like this:

     c                   eval      recno = cursorpos
     C*  recno is the record number you specified on the SFILE keyword
     C*  on your F-spec.

     c     recno         chain     subfile
     c                   if        %found
     C*  now the subfile record where the user pressed F4 has been loaded
     C*  into memory.  do whatever you wanted to do when F4 was pressed
     C*  here.
     c                   endif