We will assume that the input file is sorted by PLANID, SSNO, SOURCE and
FUND.

If L2 is on, L1 is, by definition, also on.   So, a change in SOURCE would
also cause a control break on FUND too - even if FUND didn't actually
change.

Additionally, if PLANID changes (L4 is on) then L3, L2 and L1 also is on.
After the last record of the primary (and/or secondary) file(s) are read,
LR is on, as well as every declared control break indicator under it (in
this case, L4, L3, L2, L1).

If there are no specs conditioned by L2, that's OK - it's not uncommon to
find this in a lot of old code.  But, to use 'best coding practices' for
control level breaks, SOURCE and FUND _both_ should have been coded with
L1, SSNO should have been L2 and PLANID should have been L3.  This would
have been cleaner and wouldn't have caused as much confusion.

but, as I said before, the level breaks as written, work just fine as they
are.

- for more information on control breaks and the rpg cycle, see
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/QB3AGY01/1.1.2?SHELF=QB3AYC02&DT=19980331082312

and chapter 3 of the rpg reference:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/QB3AGZ01/CCONTENTS?SHELF=QB3AYC02&DN=SC09-2508-01&DT=19980331085236

hope this helps.
> Hi ,
>
> For the above I -Spec declared,  there are Calculation Specs for the
> Control breaks L4, L3 and L1. There is no C-Spec for the control break
> indicator L2. Please Clarify how does the RPG II cycle handle the process
> when L2 is ON.
>

>   000690   01 ISORTOUT BA  99   1 CA   2 CA   3 CA
>
>   000700   01 I        BB  02
>
>   000710 00000I                                       11  11 FUND1
>
>   000720 00000I                                       11  12 FUND  L1
>
>   000730 00000I                                       13  15 SSN1
>
>   000740 00000I                                       16  17 SSN2
>
>   000750 00000I                                       18  21 SSN3
>
>   000760 00000I                                       13  21 SSNO  L3
>
>   000770 00000I                                       22  23 SOURCEL2
>
>   000780 00000I                                       24  28 TRANNO
<snip>
>   000970 00000I                                      117 120 PLANIDL4

<snip>