Let me give another example.  We've purchased this great Notes based
workflow package.  One of the many modules included in the package will
track 'Corrective Actions'.  They can be broken down into various types:
Customer, vendor, internal, ad infinitum - each with their own workflow.
Getting back on track...
At the end of each period we generate reports off of it.  And we get pretty
charts and stuff to help target problem area's.  This goes to management.
Now, you take this same kind of reporting to a huge corporation like IBM
and input from informal channels may not be deemed as important.  After
all, if it wasn't worth the customers time to formally let us know...  Hey,
don't some of us use project requests?  On our project requests we have
them fill out a dollar value.  If they can't quantify it then it ain't
going to be at the top of the heap.

This is not a perfect system, especially if you're not the one who designed
it :-)

Rob Berendt
Benjamin Franklin

                    "Jon Paris"
                    <Jon.Paris@Partne       To:     <rpg400-l@midrange.com>
                    r400.com>               cc:
                    Sent by:                Fax to:
                    rpg400-l-admin@mi       Subject:     More SQL precompiler
                    drange.com

                    03/23/2002 02:36
                    PM
                    Please respond to
                    rpg400-l

 >> I don't get it. Why do we all need to start filling out DCR's for the
PRE-COMPILER to support the standard features of the compiler itself? Isn't
that implied? Isn't that the least that we should be able to expect?

You can expect it John, but you may not get it.  Are we going to talk about
expectations or reality?

Reality is that IBM has not seen fit to spend the $s to make sure the two
are in sync.  If we want to change that situation we need to get attention
within IBM where it matters.  How do we do that?  With DCRs, PMRs, etc.
The
fact that we have _expected_ them to do the right thing rather than
_telling_ them to do it has allowed the current mess to happen.  Even
though
many of their own people (Kent Milligan for one) were complaining about the
situation, IBM's management were not hearing the message for us the
customers.  They _were_ hearing about other things that demanded their $s -
guess where the money went.

Jon Paris
Partner400