From: bmorris@ca.ibm.com [mailto:bmorris@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: 19 March, 2002 20:05
To: rpg400-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: %Scan (Again...)

>Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 10:38:49 -0500
>From: "Nicolay, Paul" <paul_nicolay@merck.com>
>
>I recently posted a message that I had some doubts that the behaviour of
>%SCAN changed.
>
>Barbara or Hans replied that it was more flexible now, and didn't fail
>anymore when the search argument was bigger than the actual string.
>
>While this change is great (it saves me an extra test), I now found out
that
>%SCAN still bombs when the actual string is empty ?  Why not just return 0
?

Paul, I agree that when haystack is empty, %scan(needle:haystack)
should just return zero, without an error.  (Although I think it should
continue to give an error when needle is empty.)  You are right, this
_is_ annoying - by coincidence, I just ran into it yesterday.

Without an APAR, I can't promise a PTF for this.

Barbara Morris