Jim

The reason for the Open, Close, Open is that the Open API is an overloaded
function.

Call the Open with two parameters and it creates the correct codepage,
permissions, etc.
(Yes it creates an empty file just fine on all releases below the reported
issue with V5R1)

Call it with four parameters and one of the parameters specifies that you
want to do EBCIDIC to ASCII conversion automaticially.

That's the reason for the O, C, O sequence.

JOhn Carr
(I have many programs in production that does exactly the above - On V4R5)

You create a file, then close it, then open in... in a lot of OSes a 0 byte
file doesn't really exist until something is written to it.  It has to
contain SOMETHING to actually be written.  Instead of Creating, closing,
opening, writing, closing, why not just try Creating, writing, closing and
see if that works.

Regards,

Jim Langs