buck wrote:
>After reading Aaron's reply I did some further testing.
>If the entire statement is beyond column 80 it works.
>If the entire statement is under column 80 it works.
>If a statement extends through column 80 it fails.
>
>Sounds like a bug to me.

Yes indeed, there are a few problems in that area, and we
already do know about them.

Here's how it *should* work:  Statements in a /free block
are coded between positions 8 and 80 (inclusive).  You can
enter stuff in position 81 and beyond, but it *must* be
prefixed by //.  In other words, it must either be a valid
end of line comment, or be inside an end of line comment.

Unfortunately, we're not properly diagnosing stuff past
column 80 if it's not inside a comment.

The reason we designed it that way was so we could extend
the limit on length of a free-form line in the future (if
necessary).  (We set a limit of 80 just to make it easier
to implement the function.)

Cheers!  Hans

Hans Boldt, ILE RPG Development, IBM Toronto Lab, boldt@ca.ibm.com