> From: boldt@ca.ibm.com
>
> I've got a few nits to pick:

Fine.  That's the last time I try to give kudos to the compiler team.

> As I've suggested before, for most iSeries
> programmers, RPG is the best language because it's the language they
> know best.  Business applications can be and are written in many
> other languages as well.  And the fans of those other languages will
> insist that their language is the best.

Politely as possible, Hans, you're dead wrong.  If you don't understand the
elegance and power of RPG, I'm concerned that you're intimately involved
with its future.  No other language provides the integrated database access
required to succinctly encapsulate the complicated database maneuvering
required for advanced business applications.  I've written operating systems
and applications, so I know the difference between the two.  Writing a bill
of materials explosion or an MRP generation is completely different from
writing an optimizing compiler or an event-driven kernel.  While you CAN do
business applications in other languages, the integrated database
instructions of RPG make it by far the best language for the task.

Your statement that any language can do anything is one that has been hashed
out in these forums before, and I stand by my opinion that some tools are
better than others.  If you don't believe that, then I suggest you try
writing an MRP generation using SQL and Python.  Get back to me in a few
months when you have it working.

Joe