Ditto.
I am using varying length fields to check if a string
exists in some other field.
I am having to set the length of the varying field
before I do a MOVEL.
I thought I was imagining things where the MOVEL
itself was previously setting the length.
I dont mind setting the length as it makes the code
obvious as to what I am intending.

D  C02NAMV        S             32    VARYING
D  C02NAM         S             30

C                   Eval      %len(C02NAMV)  = %len(%trim(C02NAM))
C                   MOVEL     C02NAM        C02NAMV
C                   Eval      pos = %scan(C02NAMV : S02NAM)

Frank Kolmann

Paul Nicolay wrote:
>Hi Barbara,
>
>Have things changed, or do I get old ?
>
>I guess I once tested MOVEL on a VARYING field, and got the result that it
>also overwrote the first two bytes containing the length of the VARYING
>field ?  Has this ever been the case, or is my memory really failing ?
>Anyway, even like it is currently, I find it a dangerous construction as
one
>doesn't really know if the length of the data to MOVE will be the same as
>the current length of the VARYING field (unless one anticipates such
>behavior... but I consider that as "to be avoided implicit behavior")
>
>I also encountered another issue that seems to be running fine now ?  In
the
>past when I was doing a %Scan and the search argument was bigger than the
>actual VARYING string, the program crashed.  If I now try this...
everything