Troy:

Easy question, sometimmes tough to answer.

Experience level....several years of increasing
responsibility and successes with increasingly larger
scope dealing with current technology buzz-word areas
could qualify for senior level...on the other hand,
several years of maintaining the older style RPG code
without ILE exposure etc. could only equate to junior
level.

Action words like designed, coordinated, developed,
often determine the jump in levels.  The more time spent
doing them vs. straight coding from specs the better.
Strive to make those words appear on your resume.

I can't diminish the value of coding, however, it has
kept me gainfully employed for over 30 years.

Hope this helps in some small way.

Ron.

Troy,

     It is my experience that the it is difficult to quantify in terms of
time what is necessary to qualify for a given position, though typically you
could use the following guidelines;

Junior Programmer
Years/months experience if applicable and any other qualifications needed

      >1 - 3 years of programming experience.  Limited business/industry
knowledge.  Not expected to be much of a problem solver.

Programmer
Years/months experience if applicable and any other qualifications needed

     >2 - 4 years of programming experience.  Competent with all aspects of
processing (batch/online).  Able to research/correct problems with some
guidance.  May be called upon to do some basic analytical/design work.  Has
moderate industry/business knowledge.

Senior Programmer
Years/months experience if applicable and any other qualifications needed

    >5+ years of programming experience.  Able to solve production issues in
a timely fashion.  Acts as a mentor to others.  Able to translate functional
(user) requirements in to a technical design.  Well versed in given
industry.  Good communication skills.

Consultant

Excellent