John,

I think I see where you are coming from. You can use the GPL
software in your applications all you want. You just can't sell
the combination to someone else. You can charge a distribution
charge like IBM does with some of their tools.

In our case, most good Struts consultants are charging from
$80 - $200 per hour. They get paid to write an enhancement,
and then contribute that back to the Community (they don't
have to).  The benefit to them is that they become recognized
as an expert and their services become more valuable.

>From what I have seen no small time vendor is going to
compete with the software that is coming out of the open
source process. Look at Struts, Cocoon, Apache, Linux,
POI, etc. Even being big is no guarantee, IBM is going to
have a hard time with WebSphere, which relies on open
technologies but can't keep up with the rate of change.

David Morris

>>> jtaylor@rpg2java.com 02/28/02 03:46PM >>>
David,

> I don't understand why you cannot use GPL software. Does
> that mean you cannot use the Apache web server, Eclipse,
> or the Qshell utilities?

Well, your examples are all applications. The toolkit is a different
animal
because it's primary purpose would be for use within other
applications. The
way I currently understand it, if I use GPL software within an
application,
my application now essentially becomes GPL as well.

Admittedly, I have a very shakey understanding of the GPL at best, so
please
correct me if I'm wrong.

John Taylor