Rob,

I guess the bigger question is; who would buy a book on a topic that
isn't being used? With less than 10% of the iSeries population running
V5, where is the market for such a book? Or is it a chicken and egg
thing?

If you noticed, I cover the RPG cycle on chapter and don't really give
examples that deal with it. Yet there is a much greater install base of
code that uses the RPG Cycle than uses the /FREE syntax.

I don't think there's anything wrong with using the /FREE, I just think
it is presumptuous to think that simply because a feature is there,
"everybody" is using it. When clearly they are not. For example,
illustrating code in this forum that uses /FREE is clearly not
beneficial to the masses. Unless of course the purpose of the
illustration is to educate someone else on the list about a technique
that clearly requires the free-form stuff. For example: How do I
simulate a MOVEL operation in free format?

I don't dislike free form code. I dislike poor code, fixed or free
format. Hell, 80% of the application code that I write is in C++ no RPG.
RPG IV is so easy to code, why would I complicate it by using a /FREE
that can only be compiled on a V5R1 machine?

Rob, you don't hear me or anyone else saying "Who would hire Rob, when
he writes code that looks like this or that?" So far, I've sold over
50,000 copies of my book and have had 2 copies returned (other than
over-sells to Colleges). So theoretically, more people have my book than
currently have the ability to write /FREE RPGIV code.

Bob Cozzi
cozzi@rpgiv.com

On

"'rpg400-l@midrange.com'"