Hans,

A couple of points on your response to Buck. It is not "David's" site.

That is the most important part. I am currently the only administrator,

but I would welcome the help and guidance of others. The
iSeries-toolkit site strives to supply the foundation for an
application
framework. It could easily support vertical applications.  If you
have an interest rate computation or other useful routines, I will
give you developer access and let you check it in.

I would hate to see the open-source initiative splinter at this point.

And would urge you and Bob to consider working together with
the existing open-source community. It would take a lot of work
just to duplicate what Source Forge offers.

Thanks,

David Morris

>>> boldt@ca.ibm.com 02/28/02 01:18PM >>>
Hans wrote:
>When your "Comprehensive RPG Archive for Modules and
>Procedures" is up and running, I'll expect to see this
>functionality included!

Buck replied:
>David Morris has started just such a project named the
iSeries-toolkit.

>http://www.iseries-toolkit.org

David's site looks good.  But a "Comprehensive RPG Archive for
Modules and Procedures" should be more than that.  David's
iseries-toolkit should be one of many contributions to a
complete archive site.  In particular, the iseries-toolkit
looks like a good selection of commonly used functions.  But
that package might not include more specific functionality,
such as interest rate computations, which would be more
appropriate in their own packages.  A comprehensive archive
(like CPAN) should include all manner of contributions from a
variety of different sources and problem domains.  There are
bits and pieces here and there, but no comprehensive and
complete list.

Ideally, whenever anyone in any forum asks how to do some
particular task on the iSeries, the answer should be "Go to
the RPG Archive (http://www.ramp.org/) and download package
XYZ".

I believe Bob mentioned that he and a few others were working
on something.  I'm sure they'll come up with a much better
name than mine. ;-)

Cheers!  Hans