I think it was said earlier: The best language is the one you know best.
Corporate policy makes people move to new languages--look at Home Depot,
they made a corporate decision to move to Java--the end users hate the
results, but they're there. Why, because of several reasons, probably a
little hiring ability, a little hype, a little technical superiority, a
little intelligence, and a little stupidity.

The strange thing is, C is available today, and C++ is somewhat
available today. But RPG is kind on AS/400 and will remain that way for
a long time. And we're not talking about the problems with Java, or C,
or C++, we're talking about the issues with RPG. I'm not here to save
you from jumping off a bridge. If you want to go live off of Java, go do
it, and I wish you nothing buy luck. After all, it just leaves more for
me. <vbg>

Bob Cozzi
cozzi@rpgiv.com
Visit the on-line  Midrange  Developer  forum at: http://www.rpgiv.com

On
> Behalf Of Bartell, Aaron L. (TC)
> Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 11:09 AM
> To: 'rpg400-l@midrange.com'
> Subject: RE: ILE adoption rate
>
> >What's IBM to do? Can't afford to alienate the traditionalists and
can't
> afford the 'old and
> proprietary closed system' image that the traditionalists
(unconsciously?)