Thank you very much Brad.  This will really help out to understand the concept.

Thanks again!

Peter Vidal
Pall Aeropower Corp.
Programmer Analyst

                    "Brad Stone"
                    <brad@bvstools.co        To:     rpg400-l@midrange.com
                    m>                       cc:
                    Sent by:                 Subject:     Re: CGI-RPG
Parameters with different
                    rpg400-l-admin@mi        sizes
                    drange.com

                    02/26/2002 04:18
                    PM
                    Please respond to
                    rpg400-l

Peter,

you can't rely on the data being of a certain size when read
from a web page.  You can control it's Max size, but that's
about it.

You really should be using 1 of 2 options.

1.  Read the data in (QtmhGetEnv or QtmhRdStin, depending if
it's a GET or POST).  Then, use QtmhCvtDB to convert the
data into a usable format.
2.  Use the QzhbCGIParse API to read in each variable at a
time.  (my preferred method).

#1 is cumbersome and yucky.  #2 is as easy as pie.  My first
e-RPG book explains #1, and my 2nd will also include #2
(hopefully out in 3 or so months).

In the meantime, I do have some wrappers that may help on my
webpage at:
http://www.bvstools.com/download.html

The "2nd set of HTTP Procedures" contains a wrapper for the
QzhbCGIParse API that you can use like this:

eval Myfield = #CGIParse('-value myField')

VERY easy to use.

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:04:49 -0500
 Peter_Vidal@pall.com wrote:
> Hi group!
>
> I have a Program A that is sending three parameters to a
> Program B:
>
> Field 1 = 5 char long, value is '1'
> Field 2 = 15 char long, value is '1364647'
> Field 3 = 7 char long, value is M111110
>
> When I display my values on program B, I am only able to
> receive them using a
> data structure like this:
>
> DEnvData          DS
> D   StartAtLoc                        Like(RQGDML)  (is 5
> long)
> D   StartAtItem                       Like(RQGDGR)  (is
> 15 long)
> D   StartAtOrd                   7
>
> However, while debugging Program B, EnvData contains the
> following value:
> EVAL EnvData
> STARTATLOC OF ENVDATA = '21307'
> STARTATITEM OF ENVDATA = '459M111110     '
> STARTATORD OF ENVDATA = '       '
>
> How I can determine the right positions of the data?  Is
> the data structure
> poorly defined?
>
> TIA
>
> Peter Vidal