According to
http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/languages/c/unix-c/usenet/u-questions.txt

The exact origin of the name is shrouded in the mists of prehistory, but
one explanation is often given: The command g/re/p in the original UNIX
text editor "ed" was used so often it was packaged up into a command that
was obviously named "grep." According to Kernighan/Plauger _Software Tools
in Pascal_, it stands for "Globally look for Regular Expressions and
Print." The phrase "Generalized Regular Expression Parser" has also been
offered as an origin of the acronym.

Here are a few more common possiblities:
Global Regular Expression Printer
Generalized Regular Expression Parser
Global Regular Expression Program
Global Regular Expression Parser