This to me is an example of;

"What would you suggest I do if I am in a bad section of town,  It's dark,
I have no weapon, I'm in a dark alley.
There are twenty people ready to do me bodly harm....""

I personally would really start with what totals have to be  updated,  why,

Why is program A reading a file to initiate this process.

I have a strong suspicion that the data base design,  business rules,
process definitions, are "Not quite Right"

summing up,  the majority of Programming gymnastics that I see having to be
done the  many many times is a direct result of DB design.

Don't submit millions,   ask yourself why is this whole thing happening.

$.02
John

Hi folks,

> Program A reads a file and for each record submits about 20 jobs to
batch to
> update totals further up the hierarchy of records in the file.  The
batch
> jobs are going to a dedicated jobq/subsystem which can have up to 25
active
> jobs.  At the moment no more than 3 or 4 jobs are active at a time
because
> Program A is not submitting them fast enough.  We have tried
submitting the
> jobs directly from the RPG program using QCMDEXC and by calling a
CLP to
> submit them (contrary to (my) expectations, calling the CL was
faster).  At
> the speeds we are seeing at the moment it would take 83 days of
continuous
> processing to complete the job (we are talking about millions of
records).
> Is there a way to speed up submission of the batch jobs from program
A?