I have the following definition in a data structure; I'm grouping it with
two other fields for some search criteria:

0021.00 F*
0022.00 Dl1_mtr_attribs   ds             6
0023.00 D l1_mtrtyp                        1a
0024.00 D l1_mtrnbr                        4p 0
0025.00 D l1_mtrid                          1a
0026.00 D*

The subfields are also come from an input file (snippet from compiler
listing):

SEU==>
0001.67     79=I                             A    1    1  L1_MTRTYP
0001.68     80=I                             A    2    2  L1_MTRID
0001.69     81=I                             P    3    5 3L1_WMSIZE
0001.70     82=I                             P    6    9 0L1_TRFNBR
0001.71     83=I                             P   10   15 0L1_MTRLOC
0001.72     84=I                             P   16   19 0L1_MTRNBR

The compiler flags the l1_mtrnbr field in the ds as not matching the
definition from the I-spec:

30 1 The length of the input field does not match the definition of the
field; specification is ignored.

I can't see anything wrong.  Am I missing something?

BTW, if I don't indicate the ds length as 6, the compiler shows it as A(5).
What's up with this?

Buzz Fenner
mailto:bfenner@jonesborocwl.org