Sorry about that misfire!!!  #@*&% Windows popping screens up in the middle
of keystrokes bags me once again.  Here goes....

SQL is not an option because it's not available on all 400s.  OPNQRYF...
believe it or not I didn't think about it!  In this particular app there are
15 columns that the user can select to sort on at any time.  The kicker is
that I have to present an 'explorer' type of tree in the leftmost column.
The tree is the levels high.  The tree can be expanded or collapsed any
which way when the column sort is requested.    When the user selects to
column sort I have to preserve the tree heirarchy...  sort of a
summarization done MR style. (hope I'm being clear)

Many keys do share similar structures and I watch the create order, which is
a good point.  I anticipate that the app would be used probably several
times a day but only towards month end.  Maybe 10,000 records in the
physical.   The file will be updated constantly all day everyday by a batch
process - maybe 400 times a minute.

Thanks all!

Tom