I can't speak for Justin, but my ASP's give my salespeople
order status, invoicing summaries, various sales reports, UPC
code lookups, and inventory availability.  All of these use
SQL to create recordsets from information stored on our
iSeries.

While the active server page is coded in a form of VB, it is a
computer program.  While it may not be RPG, this list is
probably the best source of expertise and advice on
programming issues involved in interacting with data stored on
the 400, which is really what Justin's question is about.

Some of my ASP's connect with stored procedures written in
RPG.  I have many socket clients (none written in RPG) that
connect with socket servers written in RPG.

I've seen threads here about programming that weren't RPG
related per se, but to me seemed appropriate and informative
none the less, because they were related to programming to
resolve iSeries data access and presentation issues.  It is my
impression that midrange-l is more directed towards non
programming technical issues.

I also get the impression that most of us work in a variety of
languages to extract and present iSeries based information,
and that very few of us work in straight RPG and only RPG
anymore.  We have become flexible enough to use whatever is
appropriate to the goal we are trying to reach.

I think we can be flexible enough not to object to questions
related directly to these types of issues, unless somebody
wants to start a list specifically for people using three
tiered data access techniques.  I think it is useful to have
those questions in this forum because we can all benefit by
seeing what our peers are trying to do programmatically with
their AS/400's.

The problem is that these three tiered techniques and RPG are
so interrelated now (or at least it seems so in my tiny little
mind) that it seems hard to tell the difference.  All of these
things talk to each other, so where does the one end and the
other begin?

Perhaps it might be more appropriate to rename the list!

On 23 Jan 2002 at 17:33, Scott Klement wrote:

> Yes, I know what it stands for...  but what does it do?
>
> If you don't use this in an RPG program, we should take this conversation
> to another mailing list.  Maybe Midrange-L?

Christopher J. Devous
Director of Systems Development
The Antigua Group, Inc.

phone:  (623) 523-6000 xt. 2238