comments in-line

                    "Joep Beckeringh"
                    <joep@beckeringh.       To:     <rpg400-l@midrange.com>
                    myweb.nl>               cc:
                    Sent by:                Subject:     Re: Help a pointer
Newbie out...
                    rpg400-l-admin@mi
                    drange.com

                    01/08/2002 02:28
                    PM
                    Please respond to
                    rpg400-l

>>I think you will have to supply some information:

>>- What are you trying to achieve?
we are changing the way we print forms.. Instead of carbon seperated
multiple
copies we are printing to Laser printers and generating each page. If it
were simple
and every form looked the same I could just make mutliple copies but some
have different
boxes that need to be filled out by hand or signed and given to someone to
people outside
the company, also a few of the copies need to print some of this on the
back of the page.

>>- Why do you think you need a linked list?
simple answer because I want to :> actually at print time I do not know how
many lines
will need to be on the form. What I was planning on doing is print out one
copy of the form
and storing the information that was printed somehow (array, linked list,
file) and I thought
the best method would be to use a linked list.

>>- Why do you think you need pointers to process this list?
because if I have one line I Want to store one record if I have 500 I want
500 records.
I gues what I am saying is I want to have flexibility.

>>(And while you're at it: What is wrong with using a file in QTEMP?)
nothing really except that I did not want to have to create a dummy file
with nothing in it
for compile and have to copy it to QTEMP later.

I could be mistaken on any one of these things so If you have abetter
suggestion I am all ears.
What i really want is something fairly simple and flexible, but the use of
pointers in my shop is low
this may be the first one so I may ditch the pointer Idea and code to the
lowest denominator.