Joe,

You got this one "extremely right", in my book anyway.

Especially:  "AGH!  I can't believe this.  This is unacceptable.  I don't
quite understand when it was that it became acceptable practice to remove
functionality when moving to a new release, but this is just ridiculous."

I think we're both more concerned with when it's gonna end, than when it
became acceptable practice...  The answer to both revolves around dollars
and priorities, I'd guess.

jt