Ok,  Now I've got this parameter which looks like:

File member:                     FILEMBR      _
  File . . . . . . . . . . . . .                *ALL______
  Member . . . . . . . . . . . .                *ALL______
                          + for more values     __________
                          + for more values   _

You can select 300 files.  Of these 300 files you can select up to 50
members from each.
             PARM       KWD(FILEMBR) +
                        TYPE(E07BE) +
                        MAX(300) +
                        CHOICE(*NONE) +
                        PMTCTL(*PMTRQS) +
                        PROMPT('File member')
E07BE:       ELEM       TYPE(*NAME) +
                        LEN(10) +
                        DFT(*ALL) +
                        SPCVAL( +
                          (*ALL )) +
                        EXPR(*YES) +
                        PROMPT('File')
             ELEM       TYPE(*GENERIC) +
                        LEN(10) +
                        DFT(*ALL) +
                        SNGVAL( +
                          (*ALL ) +
                          (*NONE )) +
                        MAX(50) +
                        EXPR(*YES) +
                        PROMPT('Member')
So I designed the RPG like:
     D  FileMbrList                        like(FileMbrListDs)
      * no VARY(*YES) on this list parameter.  Complex list - a list within
a list.
     D FileMbrListDs   DS
RNF0501E Length of character item FILEMBR... exceeds 65535; length defaults
to 65535.
     D  eFileMbrList                  5i 0
     D  aFileMbr                    +10    dim(300) like(MbrListDs)
     D   File                        10a   overlay(aFileMbr)
     D   MbrListParm                       overlay(aFileMbr:*next)
     D                                      like(MbrListDs)
     D MbrListDs       DS
     D  eMbrList                      5i 0
     D  MbrList                      10a   dim(50)
       FileMbrListDs=FileMbrList;
Any suggestions on the workaround for the RNF0501E message?

Rob Berendt

Benjamin Franklin