Back in 1974 I started on a Wang mini computer with 4k of core memory.
Also I was using and IBM 370 for FORTRAN and APL.  There was also some
Xerox mainframe for COBOL, but I don't remember what model.  I lived
a few blocks from a community college and they allowed a 10 year old
to come in and play with their machines that weren't being used (the
Wang was old at that time.  It had a version of Basic and you saved
programs on an audio cassette).

When I finally hit Jr. High School they came out with the Apple ][
which I used there (Basic) and then the Apple ][e.  Was still going
to the local college and learning other languages.

After High School I didn't do much in computers.  I actually didn't
want to be a programmer, since I did it for fun, and I figured if
I had to do it for a living it wouldn't be fun anymore.  I got a
job when I was 20 or so as an Inventory Control Clerk and they used
some weird machine that used MS DOS, but was as big as an AS/400 is
nowadays (200 model size).  It used dBase and I fixed a few bugs and
found I still enjoyed it.  Later while out of work took a computer
course and met someone who was taking the class to learn computers so
he could write a program for his new business.  Told him I knew how
to do that, and that I would write it for him.  So that was my first
professional job, around the age of 23 or so.  This was for a small
retail store and was inventory control, invoices, accounts receivable
mostly, with some A/P and purchase orders.

After this system I hung around the map store a while do odd things
(deliveries, helping run the office, etc...) and tried to get another
job as a programmer, but no one would take me without a degree.  So
I went to Control Data Institute which was a 6 month course going 5
days a week.  I went 2 days a week and finished in 2 months.  Couldn't
finish, though, cause my Guaranteed Student Loan said I had to be there
at least 5 months.  So for the next 3 months came in 2 days a week and
picked up Assembly and C.  Then I got my first full time permanent
position back.  This is when I consider my programming career to start.

I didn't' get into the AS/400 until maybe 5 or 6 years ago.

Regards,

Jim Langston