Sorry I'm late getting to this thread.

Alphaworks Summary;

IBM's example code has 80 parsing API's in a row, with one [SHORT!] line
of what it is doing.

Since I was doing a simple XML project, I chose to accept standard in,
parse it myself by looking for the tokens I needed, then calling a
net.data macro to answer.  Development was days, the macro formatted the
XML, and internet exploder actually was a HUGE help in debugging my
Stone's bvstools.com website to post XML requests  - I couldn't find an
equivalent tool in the PC world - and was pleased as punch when it was
over.  GETURI can be used to make requests to web servers, and was a
perfect test bed.

My parsing routine was one I wrote for getting Cookies from my web
programming - so making it look for 5 fields and giving me data
associated within them was cool.  The XML request is probably NEVER
going to be a standard enough stream to go into a relational database
request, so using the API's seemed a little overkill for the application
I was doing, and frankly I'm not sure where I actually can use them.
Net.Data formatted the output after sending the header of text/xml -
which looks REALLY cool.

Let me know if this helps!

Andrew Borts / Webmaster
Seta Corporation