Bob wrote:
>As to the C language, well RPG IV is still my favorite, with C++ a close
>second. I don't think I write in plain old C anymore, but I suppose C++
>is syntactically similar. Just because one language does something
>questionable (like the lack of garbage collection) doesn't justify it
>being implemented in another language. Its funny you use my platform for
>why RPG IV did NOT need free form ("if you like C, use it") I've been
>saying that for 10 years. Glad to read you're quoting me on something.
><vbg>

By that logic, you could also argue that RPG needs no
enhancements at all since most RPG programmers are quite happy
programming RPG III, and other languages already exist that can
satisfy customer requirements!  ;-)

You really like C++?  Personally, I think it's one of the most
abominable languages out there.  Lately, my favorite programming
language is Python (www.python.org).  It's easy to learn with an
amazingly clean syntax (although admittedly, it did seem a
little unusual at first).  It's object-oriented with a nice
object model, with built-in garbage collection.  Furthermore,
it'll run on any system that has a C compiler.  For those
interested, it will even play nicely with Java!  Like Perl, it
comes with a robust set of packages for many common programming
tasks.

(If it were totally up to me, I would have designed free-form
calcs using a Python-like syntax! ;-) )

(To be fair, there are some very fine pieces of software
written in C++.  KDE is one I use regularly.)

Cheers!  Hans

Hans Boldt, ILE RPG Development, IBM Toronto Lab, boldt@ca.ibm.com