>We are going to have the situation of an OPM program
>calling a series of ILE programs.  The ILE programs
>are compiled with an activation group of *caller, and
>all is well.  The only problem we have is that there are
>files opened in service programs that are not be closed
>when the OPM program is exited.
>
>We've come up with three options of handling this:
>
>1.  Have the OPM program execute a shut down routine
>that would close all files that have been opened.  The
>problem with this is, how do you know what files have
>been opened, unless you know all of the details of each
>file that was opened when a service program was called.

Hi Jade!  You can use global variables within your service program to store
status about what files are open.  Alternatively, use the %open BIF.  Set
the variable at open time, and test it or the BIF at cleanup time.

>2.  Use a named activation group when calling the ILE
>programs, and have the OPM program reclaim the
>activation group at the end of the process.

That's easy enough as long as everybody understands that the files are open
until EOJ.

>3.  Leave the files open.  What issues are we
>going to have to deal with if we do this?

It's basically the same as #2, except that the files will be open a little
while longer  (until the caller goes to LR.)

  --buck