Rob,

I was responding to Aaron's post about how he likes how java does it.  I
don't see much of a difference.

I put all my embedded sql into subroutines (almost always - there are
exceptions).  Therefore, using /FREE should have no impact at all (unless
you can't EXSR in a /FREE block - I'm still at V4R5).  I showed that with
the example I posted.

IMHO:
I don't think the /EXEC SQL directive needs to be allowed within a /FREE
directive.  What's the difference between:

 /FREE
 /ENDFREE
 /EXEC SQL
 /END-EXEC

and

 /FREE
 /EXEC SQL
 /END-EXEC
 /ENDFREE

If you're already using embedded sql you're more than used to needing an
/EXEC SQL block for each sql statement anyway.  (Also, I believe not all
opcodes can be used within a /FREE block anyway?  Not sure.)

If some programmers won't use /FREE because they can't nest /EXEC SQL in it
then I think they're just looking for an excuse.  If /FREE has merit this
shouldn't get in the way.

Phil