Buck, in a similar situation I have defined a Hidden field on the Subfile
record line that is either a datastructure with EXTNAME(RealFile)  or a
hidden field that is 1,024 columns long and has the needed data Eval'd in
to it. Then the original record's data is there for refresh, for
comparisons, and for identifying whence & whither.  This leaves me with 2
parms (Original & newChanges) that can be passed from & to a
validity/processing program with ease.

Booth Martin, 802-454-8315 x235
Goddard College Information Services
http://www.Goddard.edu