Well, within the other parameters of the request, the answer would be yes.
The requester asked about developing applications to access data on an
AS/400 from other desktops. So, Java wouldn't have any problem competing
with RPG in data access from, say, a Linux desktop.

Again, this is all within the scope of the request made. After all, it
could be that the task would be better suited to a simple green screen
app telneted from the various platforms. But that wasn't the request.

Now, if someone comes up with a request that says, "How's the best way
to keep a dinosaur employed?" then I'm sure your comments will be
relevant. ;-)

Actually, I do think that people can often do with telnet and green apps
what they try to do with remote Java or other apps. But it really is up
to the analyst at that site to figure out what is going to be best for
their situation.

--
Chris Rehm
javadisciple@earthlink.net