You could also try the CHKPWD command;

     The Check Password (CHKPWD) command checks a password for the user
     running the command and determines its validity.  If the password is
     correct, no message is sent.  If the password not correct, one of
     the error messages listed below is sent after each attempt.

     The password is the security key that allows a user to sign on to
     the system.

 Error messages for CHKPWD

     *ESCAPE Messages
     CPF2362     Password not correct.
     CPF2363     Only 1 attempt left to check password.
     CPF2364     Maximum number of attempts to check password reached.

Thanks

Dennis Nel
Technical Consultant: AS/400

*       DNel3@oldmutual.com <mailto:Dnel3@oldmutual.com>