Run this code and look at the results. Edit Code X and the good old MOVE
operation produce identical results, in this situation. The EditW to a
9-position field truncates on byte due to the inclusion of the negative
sign (so you'll need 10 bytes if you prefer EDITW).
     D SSN             S              9P 0 Inz(023456789)
     D SSNAlpha1       S              9A
     D SSNAlpha2       S              9A
     D SSNAlpha3       S              9A
     C                   eval      ssnAlpha1 = %EditW(ssn : '0
')
     C                   eval      ssnAlpha2 = %editc(ssn : 'X')
     C                   MOVE      SSN           ssnAlpha3
     C                   EVAL      *INLR  = *ON

Bob Cozzi
cozzi@rpgiv.com
Visit the new on-line iSeries Forums at: http://www.rpgiv.com/forum

On