  • Subject: Re: Field contents by reference?
  • From: Scott Klement <klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 10:16:02 -0500 (CDT)

Are these fields always in the same format?   For example, maybe your
dates are always stored as '8S 0' fields in '*ISO' format?  If so,
you could program describe one field that would be the entire record,
then use a "based" variable to point to the appropriate spot in
that record...

If they're not always in the same format, you could write routines
to translate them.

News/400 did an article in May 2000 which was intended to allow you to
read & write a database in CL.  But, what they actually did was have it
call an RPG program, passing the file name, field name, etc, and they
read and returned the contents of the field...   you might check that
out....