  • Subject: RE: Programing Question/Authority...
  • From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 09:35:39 -0500

Trust me, this registration programs exist and I know of one vendor who
uses it.  We couldn't delete one IBM software product from our machine
using DLTLICPGM until we upped the key for this vendor software.  I don't
blame them, we just backburnered them while working on other projects.  We
just asked them for the key got it, changed the restrictions against this
user, deleted the program product and everything was fat and happy again.

Rob Berendt

==================
A smart person learns from their mistakes,
but a wise person learns from OTHER peoples mistakes.

                    "Njal Fisketjon"

                    <n.f@figu.no>            To:     <RPG400-L@midrange.com>

                    Sent by:                 cc:

                    owner-rpg400-l@mi        Subject:     RE: Programing
Question/Authority...
                    drange.com

                    07/27/2001 04:54

                    PM

                    Please respond to

                    RPG400-L

> I must admit that this thread has definitely got me to thinking
> twice (or even more times than that) with our present security procedure.
>
> In revisiting this particular e-mail, a couple of questions have
> come to mind.
> Q1 - "- maintaining object authorities requires special care when
database
> changes are done.". Can you please expand on this statement. We
> have done a few database changes, with object authorities in
> place, and have had no problems. However, the question that comes
> to mind is, for any future changes, could we be missing something?

With CHGPF this has become easy, but previously you had to apply all
authority changes each time you recreated a database file (e.g. after
adding new fields)

> Q2. Before it was decided to apply object authority as the
> procedure to use, one of the options considered was using
> adopting authority, with the application being the deciding
> factor. You mention "user groups defined in our "menu system",",
> How are these groups linked to a User Profile, is it through the
> operating system,. or strictly as part of the application. If it
> is part of the application, how is deleting a User Profile
> handled so that the particular profile name is also deleted from
> the application derived user groups?

The user groups in our system is defined strictly as a part of our
application, but the user profile must exist (and must be "defined"
in the "menu system").
We create (and delete) user profiles in our "menu system" (or service
system as we call it), but you can specify exit programs (wrkreginf)
to be called when user profiles are created/changed/deleted.

david@midrange.com