  • Subject: Re: Calling a program without knowing the parms
  • From: John Ross <jross-ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 11:33:47 -0500

Scott,

Ok, it is open source. I am not sure if it needs to be released with one of
the open source licenses or not. And if so which one. I want to do some
other open source projects so this will be a good place to start and work
out some of the kinks of handling open source projects.

The only reason I said active X was because I am learning visual basic. I
read a book on C++ and one on Visual Basic and decided on Visual Basic,
because C++ seamed to hard, with pointers and memory leaks, etc.  I want to
learn C++ so I can work with Linux. I run two Linux Servers.

I do not have much on the PC side, one module in Visual Basic that is
mostly hard coded to try to get this stuff to work.

If we need to move this to the open  source list or move offline or move it
to its own mailing list that is fine with me.

I looked at your pointer example in more detail in your other email. Let me
see if I understand a little more.
We are always referring to an address in parmbuffer?
We do not care about the lengths because the program in PgmNameVar will
have the correct lengths?
We just tell it where to start and make sure the values are correct?
A routine will have to be added for packed fields? Because it will not be
passed as packed because of the ASCII to EBCDIC translation. But some RPG
programs will expect packed parameters. No ideal how to do this.
We will have to set this up to handle 255 parmoffset (in a do loop I hope)?

No I have not tested it with a lot of users. Just me to try to get it
working and learning about sockets, so not even a production job yet.

I figure the connect will have the user id and password in it, it will do
the check, find a port and then the submit. No waiting on user id or
password. I understand one connection at a time, any delays and you delay
the jobs behind you.

I am up for making the PC side call format the parms, but thought it might
be confusing trying to tell type, size,  and value on the call each time.
But I am open to suggestions and change. And have not given the PC side
much thought yet as I am still working on how it can be done on the AS/400
side.

Thanks again for your help.
John Ross

At 12:01 AM 7/4/01 -0500, you wrote:

>If you decide to make this an open-source project, I'd be happy to
>contribute to it.
>
>A good open-source system for allowing you to easily write programs that
>access data on the AS/400, and write client-server apps would be a great
>contribution to the community, IMHO.
>
>Furthermore, I'd probably want to make the whole thing work in FreeBSD
>and Linux as well as Windows... I assume that you wouldn't have any
>objections to something like that?
>

>On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, John Ross wrote:
>
> > For anyone still following this and interested in helping. Here are the
> two
> > programs I have now. I was think of making this all open source anyway.
> > http://www.netshare400.com/cgi-bin/DSPSAMP?file=QRPGLESRC&mbr=MAIN1
> > and
> > http://www.netshare400.com/cgi-bin/DSPSAMP?file=QRPGLESRC&mbr=SPAWN1

[snip]