  • Subject: Re: Help screen from WebPage
  • From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 13:22:44 -0500

I have a command that I wrote called RTVIPADR.  It uses the API to return
the IP address of the current display.  Then you could use RUNRMTCMD to
fire up activities on the PC.  However, further testing may turn a positive
on RTVIPADR if you are using TELNET from one iseries to another, using
wireless 5250 hand held scanners, and various other devices.  But then
again, if the RUNRMTCMD fails, you might have your catch.  To use RUNRMTCMD
you will have to start a service which is part of Client Access to run
remote commands.  So if that service is not started you will get a failure
also.  If it has a failure, and a valid IP address, then you could have the
400 email you as to which PC you may have to start the service on.  After
awhile you can improve the failure notifier to ignore known IP addresses
such as iseries-to-iseries telnet.  But, if everything is DHCP and the IP
address may change (the wireless device is now the IP address of a PC) you
could have fun on your hands.  Perhaps you can cluster your DHCP addresses
- one group for PC's, one for wireless.  But then again, I may not know
what I am talking about.

Or you can upgrade to V5R1 and replace the 5250 application with Web
Facing.  This is supposed to be much improved over Work Station Gateway.
And I guess there are DDS things that you can put on a screen that will
only show up in browser mode.

Rob Berendt

==================
A smart person learns from their mistakes,
but a wise person learns from OTHER peoples mistakes.

                    "hartawan

                    reksodiputro"            To:     RPG400-L@midrange.com

                    <jeanhartawan@hot        cc:

                    mail.com>                Subject:     Help screen from
WebPage
                    Sent by:

                    owner-rpg400-l@mi

                    drange.com

                    06/06/01 12:19 PM

                    Please respond to

                    RPG400-L

Hi all,

I want to build a help function from the AS/400 screen (F1 key) that will
then open a simple WebPage (HTML) on the network.
How do I:

1. Determine that a work station has Client Access installed (using
terminal
emulator)?
2. If emulator is used, then:
   - Open that HTML file from AS/400 (using a default browser).
3. If it's a dumb terminal then:
   - Nothing done.

Any inputs are appreciated ;?)

Jean Reksodiputro