  • Subject: Re: *ENTRY PLIST (was: RE: Pointer not set for location .....)
  • From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 11:30:34 -0500

Okay, so lets say that you call an OPM program, with a command and not
CALL.  And that command only passes the first parameter and requests back
the 4th parameter, sort of like RTVJOBA, how do you handle the missing 2nd
and 3rd parameter?

I've worked for the same company since 1986.  Before that I did my 2.5
years with a consultant company, and 1/2 year on my own prior to that.
Nope, wouldn't work for a consultant again.

A consultant can be an agent of change.

And, as you requested, I'll stay out of the RPGLE vs RPG/400 argument.
Even my slightest comments will trigger a barrage.

Rob Berendt

==================
A smart person learns from their mistakes,
but a wise person learns from OTHER peoples mistakes.

                    rbaird@esourcecons

                    ulting.com                To:     RPG400-L@midrange.com

                    Sent by:                  cc:

                    owner-rpg400-l@mid        Subject:     Re: *ENTRY PLIST
(was: RE: Pointer not set for location
                    range.com                 .....)

                    06/01/01 07:57 AM

                    Please respond to

                    RPG400-L

Rob,

You are assuming that everyone is using procs and prototyping and other ile
concepts.  Not all of us a) are so inclined, b) are allowed, c) find a real
world need, for full blown ile.

Do you work for one company or as a consultant?

I'm a consultant and normally I am working with someone elses legacy
system, and very, very few shops I work with are deep into ile.  I'm
usually in and out of a clients system within several months and you know
the programmers hypocratic oath: "first, programmer do no harm".

99 percent of systems in the real world have NO ile concepts implemented,
and most of those have no plans.  I have yet to run across a program that
didn't pass parameters by position.

So, in answer to your question, It would be pretty stupid for someone write
a call to pass only one parameter (whether it was 1st or 10th) to an OPM
style program.

btw, I don't want to get into a fight about the relative worth of OPM vs
ILE.
I know there are some really cool stuff with positive value in ILE
concepts, when implemented properly.  All I'm saying is: Unless contracted
by the customer to completely rewrite a system (which NEVER happens), I
don't see myself getting much of a chance properly learn and use ILE in the
near future.

Regards,

Rick

Rob sez:
>And what happens if someone passes the fourth parameter and not 1-3?

Rob Berendt<<

david@midrange.com