  • Subject: Re: Transfer of AS/400 File to PC (Excel)
  • From: murtuza jadli <m_jadli@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 21:05:35 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Amir Khan,

To initiate an automatic batch FTP transfer from an
AS/400, first create a script in a source physical
file containing valid FTP commands. To get it to work
in batch (that is, without user input) when you run
the FTP session, you must create a file override on a
file called INPUT that tells the AS/400's FTP client
where to retrieve the commands from (instead of from
the keyboard, as it normally would). Thus, you
override INPUT to point to your FTP script. If you
want to capture the FTP session's results, you also
must override a file called OUTPUT to a member where
the session will be logged.

For example, to transfer member HISMBR in file HISFILE
in HISLIB from remote AS/400 HISAS400 to member MYMBR
in file MYFILE in library MYLIB on MYAS400, use the
following script, which I've named FTPCMDS in the
source file FTPSRC on the AS/400 originating the FTP
session (MYAS400):

MYUSER PASSIT
GET HISLIB/HISFILE.HISMBR MYLIB/MYFILE.MYMBR
QUIT

This script works for source file members. To use the
script, start the FTP server on the remote system
(HISAS400) with the command STRTCPSVR *FTP. Then,
execute the following CL program on the source
system (MYAS400):

PGM
OVRDBF FILE(INPUT) TOFILE(FTPSRC) MBR(FTPCMDS)
CLRPFM FTPSRC/OUT
OVRDBF FILE(OUTPUT) TOFILE(FTPSRC) MBR(OUT)
FTP HISAS400
ENDPGM

For this CL program to work, you must create a member
called OUT in the FTPSRC file, which will contain the
for any messages for debugging/error checking.

Note that the user ID and password must be stored in
the FTP command source member, so be sure to secure
that member appropriately.

Thanks,

Murtuza Jadliwala
System Analyst & Programmer