  • Subject: Re: FW: IFS API Documentation
  • From: Scott Klement <klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 13:33:54 -0500 (CDT)

There's lots of documentation on the IFS... but it's all written for C
programmers, with the assumption that you're planning to call it from a
C program.

Thus, in order to really take advantage of the documentation, you need
to be capable of converting things from C to RPG.

This book is called the "Integrated File System Introduction" and isn't
too bad as a starting point, explaining how the IFS works and how you
access it from C programs:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com:80/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/QBKAUH01/CCONTENTS

This book is really where the details are documented about calling the
IFS functions, it's called the "Unix-Type APIs manual"  Again, it
assumes that you're a C programmer:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/pubs/html/as400/v4r5/ic2924/info/apis/unix2.htm

The RPG "Who knew you could do that..." Redbook does go into actually
coding some of this stuff in RPG, but probably doesn't provide the
level of detail that you're looking for.

If you're proficient enough in C that you can translate the code from
C to RPG (including looking things up in the C header files, and using
that info to make your own RPG header files) you should be able to
find "all possible parameters" in the IBM manuals.

Have fun!