  • Subject: RE: Help needed !!!
  • From: "Mark A. Manske" <mmanske@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 08:37:02 -0500

I do not see anyone replying to this as of yet - So I will be the first to offer my take on your question...

This is only my thoughts and I am in no way an expert - I have never heard of anyone attempting what you want to do -
The API's and even the qcmdexec are there to make RPG more robust and modern, without them, you simply have the
original report program generator, not of great use in today's world of gui, html, and communicating with various machines.

What you ask is if I remember back about 10 years is very possible, however I have forgotten those old techniques and
now use the modern easy way out (that is what the API's are there for, to make our life easier)

Way back then I do recall doing something with a ICF file or some such odd thing to a main frame, but it was a really pain
in the back side, and sometimes did not work right - hopefully there is another old timer that can still remember those days
on this list; but I have to admit, I would go for the API's long before attempting to stay away from them, even a simple call
to a C/L that does the FTP is much more efficient.

I wish you luck and hopefully someone else here has a better memory than myself.