  • Subject: Re: E-mail notification from AS400
  • From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 09:25:08 -0500

Your point is well taken.  However since we are allowed to share the
magazine within the company we will probably share the id used to view the
website, soon as I can figure out what it is.

Rob Berendt

==================
Remember the Cole!

                    Gary Guthrie

                    <GaryGuthrie@home        To:     RPG400-L@midrange.com

                    .com>                    cc:

                    Sent by:                 Subject:     Re: E-mail
notification from AS400
                    owner-rpg400-l@mi

                    drange.com

                    03/06/01 05:17 PM

                    Please respond to

                    RPG400-L

Hi Rob,

For a mere $39.00 per year, you can have a professional membership. And,
I believe that even includes your own copy of the magazine. That is
quite a bargain. That's so reasonable that you can painlessly pay for it
yourself if your company is too tight-fisted.

As a Technical Editor for NEWS/400, I can attest to both the significant
finances it takes to provide the information (hardware, infrastructure,
and people aren't free) and the significant effort that many at the
magazine put forth to help the community.

I speak from personal experience when I mention effort. I know that I
contribute an enormous amount of time trying to help folks in the AS/400
community. Yes, I am compensated, but I assure you it is at a rate FAR
FAR below my consulting rate.

When I witness comments such as the one below, I always wonder how
willing the commenter would be to work for me for free. Or maybe set up
an arrangement whereby when the commenter provides a service to me, the
commenter receives compensation from me based on his or her consulting
rate; when I provide the service, the commenter in turn pays me at my
consulting rate. If the way things work now isn't acceptable, either of
these two alternatives is acceptable to me.

I hope you don't feel like I'm picking on you - I'm not. My goal is
simply to put into perspective that, in spite of a feeling of
entitlement, it is not possible to provide all things for all people
without somehow covering the cost to do so.

Cordially,

Gary Guthrie
NEWS/400 Technical

P.S. - I speak for myself, not for NEWS/400.

david@midrange.com