  • Subject: Re: Print Total Pages in Report
  • From: BillsVilla@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 14:22:37 EST

In a message dated 2/9/2001 10:19:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jlcrosby@fwi.com writes:

BillsVilla@aol.com wrote:

> Wow ... why not just take the total number of records to be processed and
> divide it by the number of records printed to a page?
>
> Of course you will have to do it before the first heading line is
printed.
> Not exactly rocket science but i like to keep it simple for the next guy.

1) Because there might not be a one-to-one correlation between records and
print lines (i.e.,
some records may cause more than 1 line to print).

2) Report breaks causing subheadings.

3) Report breaks causing page breaks.

4) Sometimes page breaks may cause page numbering to restart.

Everything listed is control by something meaning you can place those same
controls into your counter.

Read a record to print - add 1 to counter
read record to print that causes subtotals - add 2 to counter
read record that causes page break - add ##(to fill page) to counter

Restarting page numbering wouldn't matter when you are looking for a total
number of pages to place in a "1 of 30" scenario. Even if it did you can
still work around it. As a programmer that is your job.

And I have no clue what the 1 to 1 correlation stuff is all about because you
would only count records falling under the same scenario as the ones being
printed.

Oh well...

Guess that's what somebody's gets for making a suggestion.

Maybe you can tell my AS/400 how it won't work cause it works fine here.

Bill