  • Subject: RE: enhancements voting (was 2 d arrays was RE: Basic Cobol)
  • From: "Sims, Ken" <KSIMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 12:35:44 -0500

Hi George, Terry, Jon, et.al. -

>>Sometimes you have to choose between features.  e.g. Do you want
>>one $20 feature or would you get more mileage from 5 $4 functions?
>>
>>I think it works pretty well.
>
>The problem is that a $4 function will get more votes than a $20
>function because it costs less and more people will be able to
>"afford" it out of their $100 allotment.  If a $20 function gets
>almost as many votes as a $4 function, it tells me the $20 function
>must be wanted.  Many people were willing to pay the more expensive
>price to vote for it.  If you don't weight the results, you will
>always be doing the cheaper ones, because the expensive ones will fall
>to the bottom due to their higher cost.

Maybe what is needed in addition to the $100 to spend is 100 points of
voting.  You would have to allocate at least one voting point to each item
that you spend money on.  So if there is one expensive item that you REALLY
want and nine other cheaper items that would be nice; you would spend your
dollars per the ballot, but then could allocate 91 voting points to the one
item that you REALLY want and 1 voting point each to other nine items (or
whatever proportions would reflect your relative desires for each of the
items).

Ken
Southern Wine and Spirits of Nevada, Inc.
Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of
my employer or anyone in their right mind.