Here's a kind of hokey example that should give you some ideas about what
you can do. On a more practical level, I use them with item descriptions,
status messages, etc., so that I can control the color of the field on the
screen based on its contents (e.g. "Rejected" in red, "Warning" in yellow,
etc.):

Display file:
A                                      DSPSIZ(24 80 *DS3)
     010131
A          R SCRN01
     010131
A                                      CF03
     010131
A                                  6 20'Rotating Colors Display Screen'
     010131
A                                  9 20'The current color is:'
     010131
A                                      COLOR(WHT)
     010131
A            @@FLD1        13A  O  9 42
     010131
A                                 12 20'Press ENTER to cycle; F3 to Exit'
     010131
A                                      COLOR(BLU)
     010131
RPG program:
     FTST99FM CF  E                    WORKSTN
     E                    CLR         7  1
     E                    TXT     1   7 11
     I            DS
     I                                        1   1 @@XGRN
     I                                        2   2 @@XWHT
     I                                        3   3 @@XRED
     I                                        4   4 @@XTRQ
     I                                        5   5 @@XYLW
     I                                        6   6 @@XPNK
     I                                        7   7 @@XBLU
     I                                        1   7 CLR
     I@@FLD1      DS
     I                                        1   1 @@F11
     I                                        2  12 @@F12
     I                                       13  13 @@F13
      * initialize color fields
     C                     MOVE X'20'     @@F13            off
     C                     MOVE X'20'     @@XGRN           green (off)
     C                     MOVE X'22'     @@XWHT           white
     C                     MOVE X'28'     @@XRED           red
     C                     MOVE X'30'     @@XTRQ           turquoise
     C                     MOVE X'32'     @@XYLW           yellow
     C                     MOVE X'38'     @@XPNK           violet
     C                     MOVE X'3A'     @@XBLU           blue
      *
     C                     MOVE X'20'     @@F13            off
      *
     C                     Z-ADD0         X       10
     C           *INKC     DOWEQ*OFF
     C                     ADD  1         X
     C           X         IFGT 7
     C                     Z-ADD1         X
     C                     ENDIF
     C                     MOVE CLR,X     @@F11
     C                     MOVELTXT,X     @@F12     P
     C                     EXFMTSCRN01
     C                     ENDDO
     C                     MOVE *ON       *INLR
** CLR
GREEN (OFF)
WHITE
RED
TURQUOISE
YELLOW
VIOLET
BLUE

RPG400-L@midrange.com writes:
>Mike Naughton wrote:
>>
>> etc. I've even used them to hold color values for attribute bytes, so
>that
>> I can get creative with my display screens without using a lot of
>> indicators. . . .
>
>I'm curious.  Can you give an example of creative displays?

Mike Naughton
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Judd Wire, Inc.
124 Turnpike Road