  • Subject: Re: RPG IV Performance
  • From: "Joep Beckeringh" <joep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 00:34:41 +0100

Hi Lisa,

RPG IV are indeed a lot bigger than RPG III programs, but the impact of the
size on performance is negligible.  If your consultants are any good at
performance analysis, they should be able to explain the impact of size on
performance.  As for the storage it takes, on most production systems the
DASD used for programs is (or should be) only a fraction of the DASD used
for data.

As for trigger programs: they are not running constantly in the background
(but if they are feeding a data queue, there should be another job
monitoring this data queue), they are executed whenever a trigger event
happens and they will run in the job that fires the trigger.  They do have
an impact on performance of course, because they take time to run.  How much
impact they have is mainly determined by the way they end: if they set LR on
(or are written in CL) they will have to be started and initialized for
every event; if they end with RETURN they will only have to be started and
initialized for the first event in a job.

Personally, I think it is downright silly to write a trigger program in RPG
III, because you get a buffer containing old and new data and offsets to the
data.  A typical case for pointers, which are not available in RPG III.

Joep Beckeringh