Lisa Abney wrote:

>Hi all!  I've just heard some rather negative
>performance things on RPG IV, and
>wonder if anyone can give me some
>feedback on how true this might be.
-snip-
>The program they showed me was written in RPGIII,
>and I made my usual request to an outside contractor
>that this be done in RPGIV.  His response was "Sure, if
>you want the program size to be 5 - 10 times the size
>of an RPGIII program."  When I asked him to explain
>that, he only said that, in his experience, this is
>always true, and that it would have a very negative performance.

I have found that simply converting to RPG IV and re-compiling gives my
programs a 10-20% speed increase.
As for the size of the object, I took an old-ish RPG III program with 222
lines and compiled it - 81920 bytes.  I then ran it through the IBM
CVTRPGSRC and compiled it dbgview(*none) dftactgrp(*yes) - 131072 bytes.
With dbgview(*list) - 225280 bytes.

I'm a bit surprised that a performance consultant hasn't suggested
benchmarking the performance...

Buck Calabro
Aptis; Albany, NY
"Nothing is so firmly believed as
 that which we least know" -- Michel Montaigne
Visit the Midrange archives at http://www.midrange.com