  • Subject: RE: justifying a character variable
  • From: "Lynette Chronister" <lchronis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 08:30:55 -0500

thanks for your help buck, i will try this.  Yes, I of course understand the
abilities of ILE vs 400 levels.. this being a simple yet great example.
However, my company's main application is outsourced and written in S36.
Therefore, we have no externally described files to work with.  We are a very
small programming shop and have very little need for the major advances of ILE
vs the time it would take to train the programmers.  I know it sounds like a
cop out, but only light modifications, report-type programming and some
interfaces are done and we do not know when there might be a change of platform
altogether.

A lot of the questions I post are because I was introduced to RPG in the ILE
level and am now digressing, so therfore, things i know how to do in ILE do not
exist in this environment.  That is why I joined this list.

That brings up my question of this list.  I notice most of the messages are re
or replied in ILE, yet i thought this was the RPG400 list?

Thanks again for your help.
Lynette Chronister
Programmer/Analyst
Elizabethtown, PA

>>> buck.calabro@aptissoftware.com 01/15/01 04:34PM >>>
Lynette Chronister wrote:

>what is the easiest way to right justify a character variable.
>oh, p.s. im writing in 400 not ILE.

The easiest (by far) is to use RPG IV: evalr     output = %trimr(input)

Here is an RPG/400 version donated many years ago by Booth Martin.  It
handles numbers, but pulling out the IF...END will allow it to handle
characters too:

E                    ARI        15  1
E                    ARO        15  1
 * -------------------------------------------------------
IDUMMY       DS
I I            '1500           '         1  15 FROM
I I            '               '        16  30 TARGET
I I            0                        31  450NUMBER
 * -------------------------------------------------------
C*
C* OK, here's an old-fashioned way to get your string
C* right-adjusted, numbers only
C*  Courtesy Booth Martin, Midrange-L mailing list
C*
C*  Definitions:
C*    FROM     A 15 character field that is our original data field.
C*
C*    TARGET  A 15 character field that is our new, right adjusted,
C*               numbers only field.
C*
C*    ARI       An array; 15 elements each 1 character long, for
C* input.
C*    ARO      An array; 15 elements each 1 character long, for
C* output.
C*    I          A 2-digit field for an index of the ARI array.
C*    O         A 2-digit field for an index of the ARO array.
C*
C* Narrative: We'll move our FROM field into the ARI array and then
C* starting  at the end (element 15) we will go backwards.
C* As we go backwards we will check each element of ARI to see if
C* it is a number.  If it is a number we will move it to the "O"
C* element of ARO and decrement the index  "O" for ARO by 1.
C* When done, we will then move our ARO array to our finish
C* field, TARGET.
C*
 * -------------------------------------------------------
 * Set our array indexes (note that we are setting the array index
 * at 15 and decrementing it  -  this gets us right adjusted):
C                     Z-ADD15        I       20
C                     Z-ADD15        O       20
 * Move our "from" field into the array ARI:
C                     MOVEAFROM      ARI
 * Read through the array ARI, an element at a time:
C                     DO   15
 * If the array element is >=0, and <=9, choose it:
C           ARI,I     IFGE '0'
C           ARI,I     ANDLE'9'
 * It is chosen, and moved to right side of the array ARO:
C                     MOVE ARI,I     ARO,O
C                     SUB  1         O
C                     ENDIF
C*
C                     SUB  1         I
C                     ENDDO
 * Once we are done, move the array ARO to our desired field:
C                     MOVEAARO       TARGET
 * Convert to a number
C                     MOVE TARGET    NUMBER
 * ----------------------------------------------------------
 * This process will move a field like  "A1$2e45(*&6asd7"
 *                                     to  "        1234567"
 * ----------------------------------------------------------
C                     DUMP
C                     SETON                     LR

Here is my soapbox:
Your company should be able to see the difference between these two routines
in terms of clarity, maintainability, adaptability, expandability and
performance.  If your company chooses to stay with RPG/400 despite the
obvious benefits, what other obvious benefits is your company withholding
from you?

Buck Calabro
Aptis; Albany, NY
"Nothing is so firmly believed as
 that which we least know" -- Michel Montaigne
Visit the Midrange archives at http://www.midrange.com