  • Subject: RE: Future of AS/400 ??????????????:(:
  • From: "Bartell, Aaron L. (TC)" <ALBartell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 16:49:20 -0600

Buck,

The thing is that up until Brad Stone wrote his book RPG programmers had no
hope of writing web applications unless they went to another platform or
tried to run Perl or something on the AS/400 they have.

Now they can learn how to write CGI pgm's using RPG as their choice of
language!  How cool is that.  Brad is a pioneer!  Hurray Brad.

I will help Brad out with his cause.  We have the perfect market!  How many
"e-RPG" programmers are there out there?  Not many.  How many AS/400 boxes
are there out there with loads of data just waiting to get out to the web?
Thousands.  How many people in your AS/400 shop know RPG but  don't know
NET.BLOB or Websphere?  Most likely 100%.

Now we have the perfect chance to allow RPG to shine as a language.  You
have a great start if you are willing to start creating static pages.  Now
make the same page using RPG.  It is not that hard.

Good luck Buck,
Aaron Bartell
HTML programmer -  well not really but it sounds cool;-)