  • Subject: RE: Module source naming schemes
  • From: "Sims, Ken" <KSIMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 12:12:09 -0500

Hi Jim -

>What naming schemes has everyone else settled on?  So far
>there are no modules on the system at all, nor are there
>any service programs, so whatever naming schemes I start
>with we will most likely go with.

I'm just getting started with service programs myself.  I keep the name of
the main module in the service program to be the same as the service program
itself.  If there are other modules, they have the same name with a suffix.

I have one prototype per service program, not per module.  The name of the
prototype source member is the same as the service program, but resides in
source file QRPGLECPY, as do other non-prototype copy members.  The name of
the binder source is the same also, but resides in QSRVSRC.

My service programs and their modules all start with @_.  For example, my
OS/400 services service program is @_OSSRV.  It consists of RPGLE module
@_OSSRV and CLLE module @_OSSRVCP.  (It doesn't provide very many services
yet; I'm sure there will be more CLLE modules before it is done.)

My intention is for all exported procedures to be in the RPGLE module.  I
use the binder source to keep the CLLE procedure from being exported.  The
RPGLE module will do parameter validation and call the CLLE procedures or
call APIs or whatever is needed for the function requested.

The other service program that I have created so far consists of just one
RPGLE module.  That will probably be typical of my service programs.

Just as a side note, at this point in time I do not intend to have any
multi-module programs that are not service programs; subject to change
without notice.

Ken
Southern Wine and Spirits of Nevada, Inc.
Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of
my employer or anyone in their right mind.